Sunday 25 January 2015

Top 10 Aussie Songs of all Time

Top 10 Aussie Songs of all Time

So its 10pm in Houston Texas, I'm missing my first Australia Day and my first hottest 100 countdown since it started (except that one where I got the shits and went off and had a sook by myself). At least I'm watching the cricket thanks to the work VPN and the trusty cricket Australia subscription. And now it rains...fuck.

Thought I would put together a very quick top 10 Aussie songs of all time. Now this took me about 5 minutes to pull together and its a bloody subjective and controversial list. It will not be the same as yours. But feel free to point out where we went wrong. Try and put Cosby Sweaters by the Hilltop Hoods into context later today when they come 1st or 2nd in the farcical JJJ Hottest 100 by comparing it to the songs in this list.


10 - How to Make Gravy - Paul Kelly

Bit of a staple song for me when I'm travelling abroad. In my opinion the greatest Aussie singer songwriter.



9 - Berlin Chair - You Am I

Still one of my favourite songs from the 90's and over many more accomplished and worshipped overseas acts. Best film clip of all time.



8 - Great Southern Land - Icehouse

Probably the second best Aussie singer songwriter. Obvious choice.



7 - Alone With You - Sunnyboys

Fantastic song, brilliant band. If it werent for mental illness this band would have taken over the world. Cant believe I'm now mates with Richard Burgmans nephew.





6 - Solid Rock - Goanna

Believe it or not you still hear this song on the radio in America. Says a fair bit I think. One of the earliest songs I can remember from the 80s as well.




5 - Dont Dream Its Over - Crowded House

One of the first clips I remember from the MTV era. 



4 - Flame Trees - Cold Chisel

Quintessential Aussie sounds and lyrics sung by a fucking Scot. Does it get any better than this? You're lying if you reckon there hasnt been a time where you have listened to this song and not teared up. It would be Un-Australian not to.



3 - Never Tear Us Apart - Inxs

Probably mirror my comment for Flame Trees. A lot of people have attributed deep meaning 





2 - Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats

If you havent seen the doco on the Adelaide music scene in the 60s and the emergence of bands like The Easybeats, ACDC, Masters and Apprentices etc then take a look at it. Brilliant historical look at what was probably the most important era of Australias rock music scene which paved the way for bands today.



1 - Back in Black - ACDC

Yeah people will complain, probably say its not even the best ACDC song. Well I beg to differ, absolute classic track.




Night y'all

Jason



No comments:

Post a Comment